Easy, delicious, and light with the flavor of a summer garden in every bite. Rotini or penne Pasta with Italian sausage and garden fresh vegetables. The beautiful thing about this dish is the ability to pick and choose a different combinations of flavors with each bite. Served with garlic bread it makes a filling main course.
- 2 – Italian Sausage Links of your choice
- 2 cups – dry rotini or penne pasta or other similar pasta
- 1 – 8-12 inch long zucchini of your choice
- 2 – hand size tomatoes of your choice
- 6½ cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil
- Start heating a large skillet on medium heat and a medium to large pot with 6 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt for your pasta.
- Slice Sausage Links into ½ inch wide pieces. This is best done while links are semi frozen. I like to cut on a bias just for looks.
- Place sausage in pan and begin cooking. Stirring and flipping pieces occasionally.
- While sausage is cooking, start cooking your pasta as directed on the package. Appropriately 10-11mins uncovered at a high rolling boil. Do not add pasta to water until it is boiling rapidly unless specified in supplier instructions.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise then in ½ inch chucks on the bias like the sausage.
- Chop tomatoes into 1-1/2 inch size chucks and place in small bowl and set aside.
- After sausage is cooked thoroughly. (red-pink color is gone and a slight browning has occurred.) Add ½ cup water, this will deglaze the pan bringing out the flavor of the sausage.
- Add zucchini to the sausage cook for 1-2 mins then reduce heat and let stand.
- Strain your pasta and place in large large. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Add sausage and zucchini and toss lightly.
- Serve with tomatoes sprinkled on top.